God gave Archbishop Zondo a vision to build an Arena and Multi-Purpose Community Centre (MPCC) in the Vaal – Unitas Park. This High-end, technically superior, modern and green building is planned to seat approximately 12000 people. It is modelled against the latest world class buildings of the calibre and purpose. The ministry has already procured the land where the centre will be built.This development will alleviate common concerns and address interest areas such as contributing towards job creation, poverty alleviation, social cohesion, moral regeneration
and dealing with social ills such the scourge of drugs, HIV, crime, etc.
The centre will improve the local economy of the area by:
- Job creation: During the construction phase, there will be about 100 employment opportunities. There is also a plan to work in partnership with government to develop
skilled youth who will shadow the professionals working on the project.
- Infrastructure development: There will be a need to upgrade the infrastructure in the area thus creating much more needed jobs in the area. The people in the surrounding areas will also benefit from the roads,water and sanitation upgrades required.
- Financial/ economic: With about 12000 people to be hosted at the centre during
conferences/events, local businesses (guesthouses, filling stations and convenience stores) will benefit from the patrons. In turn this will stimulate job opportunities.
- Recreation and entertainment – The MPCC will have various sporting facilities, auditorium, exhibition centre which also be available for community access.
- Skills development academy – The centre will boast state of the art training rooms,
exam and conferencing facilities.
- Technology – The centre will boast Wi-Fi and broadband access for the community. In addition to that we will house television and radio studios.
- The centre can also stimulate growth in the tourism industry through the construction hotels and other accommodation facilities for a sustainable development.
- The centre will also be accessible to the community in emergency situations such as the unprecedented natural disaster.
The centre will not only benefit Vaal Region but will also benefit the entire Gauteng Province and neighbouring Free State Province; and will be available for the public to utilise.
The Multipurpose Community Centre we are building is developed in the Vereeniging area and will go a long way in addressing the issues raised above. In line with the
ministry’s programmes, the centre will not be restricted to the church community but it will
also be accessible to serve the public as well.
We are cognisant of the fact that with a population of around a million, an unemployment
rate (official) 31.90% and a youth (15-34) unemployment rate (official) 41.70% government
cannot do this alone, and the church, civil society and business must play their part and an
integrated approach must be embraced.